If you’re anything like me, growing up in a small town was amazing.
Every experience of small town America, led me to grow up into the man I am today. Even though I live in one of the largest cities in the country now, I still cling pretty tightly to my small town roots. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can never take the country out of the boy and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Here are 30 signs you grew up in small town America that you can definitely relate to:
1. When people ask where you’re from, you just say the nearest big town because they never heard of where you actually grew up.
2. You can’t leave the house without running into at least 5 people you know.
3. Hanging out in some store parking lot was an acceptable form of entertainment at one point in your life.
4. Your teachers always knew you through your older brother/sister and would often call you their name.
5. You wave to people driving by, whether you know them or not.
6. If you’re not at the football game on Friday night, then you’re probably the only one.
7. Parallel parking in drivers ed class was a joke. Mostly because you couldn’t find a place to do it.
8. You know what FFA stands for (or used to).
9. First day of hunting season was a school recognized holiday.
10. Getting a new kid at school was HUGE news.
11. You detassled as soon as you were old enough to reach it.
12. Chances are one of your friends is either A. married to your ex or B. married to your sister, brother, cousin etc…
13. You give directions based on local landmarks.
14. If there was a family crisis, multiple people would bring you food.
15. Country music speaks to your soul.
16. The nearest “nice” restaurant is at least a 20 mile drive.
17. Your kindergarten class was the same as your high school graduating class.
18. You rarely made sure your front door was locked.
19. Dating someone from another school was “cool,” unless you were a guy and didn’t get why she had to go to another school for a boyfriend.
20. Your high school parties were in one of three places: bonfire in a field, barn, or someone’s garage.
21. You really did just drive around because there wasn’t shit to do. (Thanks Jake)
22. You waited all year for your local town festival.
23. You made the local newspaper like 349 times during high school.
24. If you got pulled over for speeding, your coach would hear about it and you’d make it up in practice.
25. You know what Brad Paisley means when he’d like to check you for “ticks.”
26. You’ve had to slow down for a tractor and it didn’t give you road rage.
27. You’ve been muddin’ at some point in your life.
28. There is no such thing as a secret. If you did something Friday night, everyone would know by the end of first period on Monday.
29. Going shopping was quite the excursion because the nearest mall was an hour away.
30. You might have hated it, but deep down, you’re damn proud of growing up there.