That one got me…
The Coca-Cola 600 is underway, the longest race of the NASCAR Cup Series season. But throughout the weekend, everybody’s mind has been on the loss of two-time Cup Series champion Kyle Busch, who passed away suddenly on Thursday at the age of 41.
Of course everybody’s thoughts have been with his wife Samantha and their children, 11-year-old Brexton and 4-year-old Lennix. And ahead of the engines being fired at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Busch’s family made their first public appearance since his death as NASCAR paid an emotional tribute to the legendary driver.
Along with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix were Busch’s parents, Tom and Gaye, and his brother, fellow NASCAR champion Kurt Busch. And NASCAR president Steve O’Donnell reminded the Busch family that their racing family was there to support them:
“Samantha, I want you to know that this sport stands with you. And that you and your children are NASCAR family forever. And Brexton and Lennix, your dad loved you with all his heart. Everyone gathered here, everyone behind you, everybody watching on TV, and all those people up in that grandstand are your family, and we’ve got you.
Kyle Busch is NASCAR. He was one of a kind, and there will never be another. And I’d ask everybody now to join us in a moment of silence for Kyle.”
Yeah, my eyes were watery watching that. And the strength it took Samantha and Brexton to be there is truly an inspiration.
Richard Childress Racing announced earlier this week that they would be suspending the use of the #8 that was driven by Kyle Busch and would instead renumber his car to the #33 – at least until Brexton is old enough to drive it:
“Richard Childress Racing has elected to suspend use of the No. 8 and will run the No. 33 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and beyond. Kyle Busch was instrumental in the design of RCR’s stylized No. 8 and it has become synonymous with Kyle and an important symbol for his fans and the NASCAR industry. No one can carry it forward to the level that he did. The No. 8 is reserved and ready for Brexton Busch when he is ready to go NASCAR racing.”
Busch has piloted the #8 car since 2023, when he moved to RCR after 15 years in the #18 car for Joe Gibbs Racing. He won three races during his first season with the team, en route to becoming the winningest driver in NASCAR history.
Just two weeks ago at Watkins Glen, Busch had said he was battling a sinus infection and asked for a doctor to meet him at his bus after the race to give him a shot. And last week at Dover, he said he was still dealing with the effects of what he called a “substantial cough” at Watkins Glen.
According to a statement released by his family yesterday, it sounds like it was actually more severe than even Busch realized.
The family revealed that, according to the medical examiner, Busch had developed severe pneumonia which had progressed into sepsis:
“The medical evaluation provided to the Busch Family concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications. The Family asks for continued understanding and privacy during this difficult time.”
There’s no doubt that his loss is one that will be felt throughout NASCAR for a long time to come.





