Is it finally time to do away with gender reveals?
Especially, the explosive, flammable, high-speed, need to stand really far away… kind.
In a heartbreaking story from upstate New York, an expectant father with killed over the weekend after his gender reveal device accidentally exploded. His brother was injured and taken to the hospital in the blast as well.
According to New York State police, a practice device was supposed to explode with colored powder, however it detonated early.
The family released the following statement regarding the accident:
“We are deeply saddened and must inform you all of the loss of our dear an beloved Christopher. We appreciate the overwhelming display of love and support that you all have shown. The Robin Hood will be closed for the immediate future. More details will be posted when we have them available. Thank you.”
In an interview with The Washington Post, the oldest brother said they’re still trying to process this devastating loss:
“It has been two nights in a row of not being able to sleep, waiting, hoping to hear that this is all some crazy misunderstanding. But we all know that’s not the reality here.
He was finally ready to settle down and he was so happy to be a dad. He was just this big kid, ready to be a man. And this shouldn’t have happened.”
The younger brother who was also injured in the blast underwent reconstructive surgery on his knee, although doctors are confident that he’ll make a full recovery and be able to walk again.
“With all the wonders of modern medicine, they can piece his legs back together, but they still don’t have anything to piece back together a broken heart.”
Absolutely heartbreaking, but at what point do finally outlaw these types of explosive gender reveals? Why do we need a bomb to announce your baby’s gender anyways?
We saw half of Southern California burn up last year after a gender reveal, one in Arizona torch thousands and thousands of acres, and a grandmother killed in Iowa after an explosion went wrong in 2019.