The cover I never knew I needed.
Texas rocker Koe Wetzel covered the hell outta the Rolling Stones classic “Shine A Light” as part of the new Stoned Cold Country tribute album, and I have to say, I didn’t really know what to expect from his rendition when I first saw his name on the project.
Sonically, it feels just a little bit different than what we typically hear from Koe, but he really sang the shit out of it and it’s cool and interesting to hear his vocals on a song like this.
I would’ve expected him to feature on “Honky Tonk Women” or “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” but I’m actually glad he closed the album out with this one.
“Shine A Light” was released on the Stones’ 1972 Exile on Main St. album, and was actually written about one of the founding band members Brian Jones, and later redone and rereleased following his death in 1969.
It was written mostly by Mick Jagger, along with Keith Richards, and remains a fan-favorite to this day.
In addition to Koe’s cover, tons of other country stars are featured on this album, including Lainey Wilson, who already released her version of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”
Ashley McBryde, Eric Church, Steve Earle, Marcus King, Brooks & Dunn and others also did great renditions of Rolling Stones standards
Of the project, producer Robert Deaton says it’s essentially country music’s “thank you” to the Stones, and honors the 60th anniversary of the legendary rock band:
“This album is Country Music’s thank you to The Rolling Stones for 60 years of inspiration and providing the soundtrack of our lives. While recording the record, I was reminded that this is a showcase and spotlight on the best we have to offer as a genre.
From our artists to all of the musicians that played on the record, we boldly state that Country Music is second to none when it comes to artists of integrity and creativity.”
As someone who’s a fan of both country and rock, I couldn’t love the whole idea more.
And what a way to close out the record… sheesh.
“Shine A Light”
Stoned Cold Country Tracklist:
1. “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” – Ashley McBryde
2. “Honky Tonk Women” – Brooks & Dunn
3. “Dead Flowers” – Maren Morris
4. “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” – Brothers Osborne & The War And Treaty
5. “Miss You” – Jimmie Allen
6. “Tumbling Dice” – Elle King
7. “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” – Marcus King
8. “Wild Horses” – Little Big Town
9. “Paint It Black” – Zac Brown Band
10. “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” – Lainey Wilson
11. “Sympathy for the Devil” – Elvie Shane
12. “Angie” – Steve Earle
13. “Gimme Shelter” – Eric Church
14. “Shine A Light” – Koe Wetzel