We all know John Dutton (Kevin Costner) as the hard-nosed, relentless patriarch of the Dutton family empire on Yellowstone,the father to Beth, Kayce, Jamie (and the late Lee Dutton).
He’s devoted his whole life to protecting both the Dutton family name and the ranch, and he’s going to go to any extent possible to keep that legacy alive and well for generations to come.
Of course, he may be facing his toughest battle yet, with Caroline Warner from Market Equities vowing to take down not only Beth, but all of the Dutton land.
Needless to say, I think we can expect John’s relentless spirit to come out in full force in Season Five, considering the measures he’s gone to in past seasons. And also, now that we know he will be the Governor of Montana in the new season, Caroline might have an uphill battle on her hands.
As we near the Season Five, I’ve found myself thinking about all of the best moments of John Dutton on the show thus far, and with that, I keep recalling a number of badass quotes from the guy as well.
So, naturally, I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of the best quotes from the great John Dutton from Season One, all the way though Season Four:
25. “He is a disappointment and my greatest failure, but I raised him and I love him, as much as I’ve tried not to.”
24. “Beth, I’m not your buddy, okay? I’m your father, so can you factor that into our conversations going forward?”
23. “The whole world’s a test, son. Don’t let them ever trick you into thinking differently.”
22. “If you act like a thief, I will treat you like one.”
21. “Sweetheart, that’s a priest. We aren’t fucking Catholic.”
20. “I guess everyone thinks I’m the dumbest man in the valley.”
19. “It’s her last fucking hug. Let her have it.”
18. “Well then you win the ‘Gettin’ Shot Least’ award, Kayce, I don’t know what to tell you.”
17. “You’re just pourin’ gas on the fire, Rip. Just dumpin’ it right on the damn fire.”
16. “This is America.. we don’t share land here.”
15. “Learn to be meaner than evil and still love your family and enjoy a sunrise.”
14. “All the angels are gone, son. There’s only devils left.”
13. “No one has a right. You have to take a right, or stop it from being taken from you.”
12. “Leverage is knowing that if someone had all the money in the world, this is what they’d buy.”
11. “Lawyers are the swords of this century. Words are weapons now. I need you to learn how to use them.”
10. “Well, if you’re marrying Beth, you’ve already proved you’re not scared of anything.”
9. “There’s a saying out here. If your daughter’s riding a horse, no one’s riding her.”
8. “Killin’s the one thing everything on this planet does to survive, Tate. It’s the one thing we all share. Now you share it, too.”
7. “No one will mourn your loss, son, because this isn’t losing your life… this is quitting it.”
6. “All the promises I’ve made in my life son. If I didn’t love your mother so much, I’d break it. I swear to God I’d break it.”
5. “I have this new rule. I only carry my phone in places with no service, otherwise, that son of a bitch stays on the kitchen counter.”
4. “I’m gonna leave these holes just like this, right here in the middle of my field. And if you ever come back here again, I’m gonna fill ’em. Understand?”
3. “It’s the one constant in life. You build something worth having, someone’s gonna try to take it.”
2. “You think you’re winnin’ this game? You don’t even know the goddamned rules. But don’t worry, I’m gonna teach ’em to ya.”
And of course… his hard truth to Summer:
1. “How cute does an animal have to be before you care if it dies to feed you?”
Yellowstone Season 5 premieres on Sunday, November 13th, on Paramount Network.
John Dutton Confesses To Messing Up The Family In New Yellowstone Season 5 Teaser
If you’re a fan of Yellowstone, you inevitably have your opinions about Mr. John Dutton, played by the great Kevin Costner.
As much as you root for the Dutton family, I think with a little bit of reflection and you begin to understand that they’re a bit of an evil empire. It’s a strange place to be in because on one hand, you root for the Duttons, their commitment to the ranching community, their preservation of the cowboy way, their respect for the land, etc…
But on the other, they basically kill anybody who gets in their way. And I agree that most of the time their evil deeds are a on the defense, as opposed to them initiating it, but we can’t act like the Duttons are saints here.
Beth is borderline psychotic, Jamie (who is adopted) has his own issues to deal with, Kayce can’t seem to go two weeks without killing someone (even though he’s the most even keel member of the family). It’s clear that John has had a profound and generation effects on the lives of his kids.
And while it’s easy to see that John is one of the most stubborn humans on planet Earth, he admits something rather unique in this latest teaser for Season 5.
The new Governor of Montana says:
“It must break my wife’s heart to look down and see what a mess I made of this home.”
He follows it up with:
“And that sacrifice it took to give us a home… sacrifice is exactly what we’re gonna do.”
We’ll know soon enough as Yellowstone Season 5 premiers November 13th, on Paramount Network.
Kevin Costner Says ‘Yellowstone’ Is “Too Naughty” For His Family To Watch It
If you’ve watched at least one episode of Yellowstone, then you already know that Kevin Costner, who plays John Dutton, is the star of the show.
His relentless actions to keep the Dutton family name and their ranch alive and well has resulted in the Dutton’s destroying practically any enemy who crosses their path, and it’s going to be interesting to see if they come out victorious in Season Five, knowing that they may be facing their most powerful enemy thus far.
And speaking of Season Five, Costner recently sat down with Extra to discuss how wild it may be.
In fact, he even admitted that he doesn’t let his family watch the show.
The 67-year-old famed actor told the outlet:
“It’s too naughty for them to see and they probably do figure out how to see it. But it’s got some nasty little bits that are good fun for everybody else.”
“Listen, a lot of my movies have some of those themes, so they’re going to find them in the course of their life. I hope they find ‘Fandango.’ I hope they figure out what I’ve been doing with my life.
I’m their dad for sure.”
So no Yellowstone in the Costner house, at least not when dad is around.
Costner shares three kids, Cayden, 15, Hayes, 13, and Grace, 12, with his wife of 18 years, former model Christine Baumgartner.
He also has four other children from previous relationships, in Annie, 38, Lily, 36, Joseph, 34, and Liam, 26.
Kevin Costner Asks Yellowstone Fans Their Hopes For Season 5
A number of stars from the show took to social media to share the news about Season 5, and even the main man himself, Mr. John Dutton, shared the news on Instagram.
Sharing a picture of the iconic Dutton Ranch, Kevin Costner asked fans:
What do you want to happen in season 5?
And there was a number of different answers, but three in particular had the most traction:
Goodbye Monica Dutton
Apparently, Yellowstone fans can’t stand Monica.
The wife of Kayce Dutton, and mother to John’s grandson Tate, Monica (Kelsey Asbille) is public enemy number one in the Yellowstone world.
As far as Season 5 goes, a number of fans wanted to see Kayce leave her, and some cases, even wanted to see her dead.
“For Kayce’s wife to get shipped away forever.”
“A single Kayce to move back to the ranch
“I want Kayce to leave Monica.”
“Hopefully Monica moves far away and Kayce finds a real woman… not a ‘poor me’ victim.”
“Monica dies ! I’ve had enough of her now.”
Gee, tell me how you really feel…
At least Beth has her back:
Jamie & Beth Reconcile
Another popular hope for Season 5 is that Beth Dutton (Kelly Reilly) and her brother Jamie Dutton (Wes Bentley) find a way to bury the hatchet.
Granted, as the seasons have progressed, it only seems like things between them are getting worse and worse, but after he put a bullet in his biological father Garrett Randall’s (Will Patton) head, maybe there’s hope.
“Jamie to be exonerated by a life saving good deed towards the Dutton family.”
“Beth & Jamie make peace.”
“Jamie and Beth to finally get along.”
“I’d like to see John and Beth forgive Jamie.”
“I want Beth and Jamie to hash things up and show that they once loved each other.”
“Jamie catch a break and feel like he’s part of the family, Beth forgiving him and moving on.”
A noble wish indeed…
But, Jamie and Beth’s relationship also relates to the third and final (and rather surprising) wish for Season 5… a miracle baby.
Beth’s Miracle Baby
Yep… a number of Yellowstone fans want to see Rip and Beth have a baby, except of course there is one little problem… Beth can’t have children.
It’s the reason she wants to see Jamie six feet under since he helped her get an abortion that resulted in her permanent infertility. Yes, they were both probably too young to understand the gravity of what was happening, but either way, fans are hoping for a miracle baby for Beth and Rip.
“Beth getting miracle baby.”
“Beth to get pregnant and a miracle relating to the birth of the child.”
“Jamie dies and Beth somehow gets pregnant.”
“Beth to get pregnant by some miracle.”
“Rip & Beth to have twins.”
Not sure likely that one is, but hey, anything is possible on TV.
And finally, there were a few more random hopes that are worth mentioning. Some you’d expect and some that are way out of left field:
“I hope there is a way for the Yellowstone ranch to share the land with the Broken Rock Reservation as a win win.”
“Lots of visits to the train station.”
“I want John to find some happiness.”
“Rip beating people up.”
“I want to see Summer get out of jail and be pregnant.”
Get out of jail and be pregnant? Like get pregnant in jail? That’s a new one… but hey, stranger things have happened.
So, there you have it… that’s what Yellowstone fans are hoping to see from Season 5.