Is now a good time to admit that I’ve never seen any of the Hunger Games movies?
At this point it’s probably more out of principle than anything else, but I’ve yet to watch any of the movies from the popular trilogy featuring Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. In fact, that sentence is about as far as my knowledge of the Hunger Games goes.
I know there’s some sort of battle royale for survival, which honestly sounds pretty badass (although with everything going on in the world right now it may hit a little too close to reality these days). But, I’ve never seen the movies, never read the books, pretty much know nothing about them.
But anyway, with that out of the way, apparently there’s another movie coming out in the series soon: A prequel to the original movie series is in the works, titled The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes.
The movie features Rachel Zegler as District 12 tribute Lucy Gray Baird, and Tom Blyth as the young Coriolanus Snow. It takes place 64 years before the time period from the movies we all know and love today.
According to People,in an attempt to restore his family’s name, Snow mentors Lucy Gray in the 10th annual Hunger Games.
Lucy Gray is a great singer, and uses those skills in the games as the two form an inseparable bond while preparing for the games.
Sure, sounds great. But honestly, since I doubt I’ll be watching the movie (why break my streak now?) what really got my attention for this one is the soundtrack.
Announced yesterday, the soundtrack for The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes leans heavy into country and folk with an all-star lineup including songs from Charles Wesley Godwin, Flatland Cavalry, Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Sierra Ferrell and Bella White.
The 17-song album, which is headlined by pop star Olivia Rodrigo, will be released on November 17, the same day the movie drops in theaters.
So while I won’t be heading out to watch the movie, I’ll definitely be giving this soundtrack a listen.
And hey, if the movie’s your thing, it sounds like there will be some great music in it too.
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes soundtrack track list:
1. Olivia Rodrigo – Can’t Catch Me Now
2. Rachel Zegler – The Hanging Tree
3. Flatland Cavalry – Wool
4. Rachel Zegler – Nothing You Can Take From Me
5. Sierra Ferrell – The Garden
6. Rachel Zegler – The Ballad of Lucy Gray Baird
7. Molly Tuttle – Bury Me Beneath the Willow
8. Rachel Zegler, James Newton Howard – The Old Therebefore / Singing at Snakes
9. Bella White – Burn Me Once
10. The Covey Band – District 12 Stomp
11. Rachel Zegler, The Covey Band – Nothing You Can Take From Me (Boot-Stompin’ Version)
12. Billy Strings – Cabin Song
13. Rachel Zegler – Lucy Gray (part 1)
14. Rachel Zegler, The Covey Band – Pure As The Driven Snow
15. Charles Wesley Godwin – Winter’s Come And Gone
16. Josie Hope Hall, The Covey Band – Keep On The Sunny Side
17. Rachel Zegler – Lucy Gray (part 2)