It’s an amazing record full of star-power including Dolly Parton, Cody Johnson, Lainey Wilson, Leanne Rimes, Reba and many more, but I’ve definitely had this one on repeat more than any other song on the tracklist so far.
There’s somethin’ about a duet that always gets me, and I’ve always loved the story of this song and the beautiful love story it tells.
Written by Kent Robbins and Paul Kennerley, it was released in February of 1989 as the first single from The Judds’ River of Time album, ultimately becoming their 13th #1 hit on the Billboard U.S. Hot Country Songs chart.
Ella shared a post on Instagram from inside the studio, saying it was an “incredible honor” to be part of this tribute album alongside so many talented artists:
While maybe a sort of unlikely duo in some ways, Ella and Jamey make a great pair for this song, and stayed pretty true to the original in terms of the production, which I think fans will certainly appreciate.
It’s definitely tough to cover a hit song from a legendary duo like The Judds and really make it worthwhile, but you won’t be disappointed by their rendition.
I mean, Jamey Johnson does not miss, and I think it can be really fun to breathe new life into an old classic like this when it’s done right like it was in this case.
Do yourself a favor and check it out:
The Naomi and Wynonna original:
A Tribute To The Judds Tracklist:
1. Girls Night Out – Reba McEntire, Carly Pearce, Jennifer Nettles, Gabby Barrett
2. Mama He’s Crazy – Lainey Wilson and Dolly Parton
3. Why Not Me – Megan Moroney
4. Grandpa (Tell Me ‘Bout The Good Old Days) [feat. Sonya Isaacs] – Cody Johnson
5. Rockin’ With The Rhythm Of The Rain – Ashley McBryde and Shelly Fairchild
6. Young Love (Strong Love) – Ella Langley and Jamey Johnson
7. Have Mercy – LeAnn Rimes
8. Love Is Alive – Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton
9. Had A Dream (For The Heart) – Wendy Moten and O.N.E The Duo
10. I Know Where I’m Going – Barnett, Lynne & West
11. Let Me Tell You About Love – Carl Perkins and Raul Malo
12. John Deere Tractor – Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley and Molly Tuttle
13. Cry Myself To Sleep – Wynonna Judd and Trisha Yearwood
14. Love Can Build A Bridge – Jelly Roll, K. Michelle, and The Fisk Jubilee Singers