That Willie Nelson just does not slow down.
He released his 96th studio album A Beautiful Time on his 89th birthday back in April, and now, we have a new live album on the way from the Red Headed Stranger.
Produced by Willie’s longtime harmonica player and friend Mickey Raphael, it will include sound of Willie’s historic 1984 Tokyo concert, which was the first time Willie and his family band ever played there.
The songs have been previously officially available as a LaserDisc in Japan, but clearly, no one really consumes music that way much these days (and they’re nearly impossible to find), so they’re finally bringing it to streaming platforms everywhere.
Willie says that he believes music has the power to transcend cultures and beliefs, so he’s excited to be able to bring this special show to people all over the world now:
“I believe that music, not only country music, but I believe that music is a great communicator.
I think that it crosses all boundaries and I think that the people, regardless of whether they understand what I’m saying or not, they would feel what I’m saying and they will hear it in whatever language they are listening.
I think that is the great thing about music.”
A broadcast edition of Willie Nelson Live At Budokan is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations beginning Saturday, November 26th, which will include live footage from the show.
The album will be out everywhere on November 18th.
And how about a little solo rendition of his duet with Waylon Jennings, “Good Hearted Woman,” from that Tokyo show back in the 80’s:
Willie Nelson Live At Budokan tracklist:
1. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
2. Mona Lisa (Jay Livingston/Raymond Evans)
3. Good Hearted Woman (Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson)
4. Down Yonder (L. Wolfe Gilbert)
5. If You’ve Got The Money I’ve Got The Time (Lefty Frizzell/Jim Beck)
6. Workin’ Man Blues (Merle Haggard)
7. Help Me Make It Through The Night (Kris Kristofferson)
8. Me and Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson/Fred Foster)
9. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain (Fred Rose)
10. Under The Double Eagle (Traditional arranged by Willie Nelson)
11. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)
12. Georgia On My Mind (Hoagy Carmichael/Stuart Gorell)
13. All Of Me (Seymour Simons/Gerald Marks)
14. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael/Mitchell Parish
15. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys (Sharon Vaughan)
16. Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys (Ed Bruce/Patsy Bruce)
17. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground (Willie Nelson)
18. On The Road Again (Willie Nelson)
19. Always On My Mind (John Christopher/Wayne Thompson/Mark James)
20. Will The Circle Be Unbroken (A.P. Carter)
21. Only Daddy That’ll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)
22. Who’ll Buy My Memories (Willie Nelson)
23. Till I Gain Control Again (Rodney Crowell)
24. Without A Song (Vincent Youmans/Billy Rose/Edward Eliscu)
25. Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love) (Bobby Emmons/Chips Moman)
26. Whiskey River (J. B. Shinn III)
27. Only Daddy That’ll Walk The Line (Jimmy Bryant)