Talk about paying tribute to a country music icon.
John Anderson was a mainstay country star back in the ’80s and ’90s, with his incredibly recognizable and distinct voice, boasting hits like “Straight Tequila Night,” “Seminole Wind,” “Swingin’,” “Black Sheep,” and so many more.
Not to mention, the guy has 60 charting singles in four different decades, with five number ones.
With that being said, we’ve gotta John Anderson tribute album in the works titled Something Borrowed, Something New: A Tribute to John Anderson, slated to drop August 5th.
Produced by Dan Auerbach and David Ferguson, the tribute album will feature a number of country stars, like Brothers Osborne, Tyler Childers, Eric Church, Brent Cobb, Luke Combs, Sierra Ferrell, Sierra Hull, Jamey Johnson, Ashley McBryde, Del McCoury, John Prine, Nathaniel Rateliff, Sturgill Simpson, and Gillian Welch & David Rawlings.
Anderson himself expressed his excitement for the upcoming album:
“Listening to everybody do their own takes on the songs shows how the songs really come through. And I thought to myself, ‘You might have been young and foolish back then, but you sure did pick some good songs.’
It’s very gratifying to know that some things really do not change, and a great country song remains a great country song. Any one person on the record would be a real tribute, but all of them together? It’s a pretty big deal for me personally.”
Auerbach also reflected on the album:
“We weren’t trying to piddle around and make the normal tribute record. It had to be the best singers with the best songs and the best arrangements, and they had to come into the studio. This wasn’t like, ‘Mail me the song, and we’ll put it together.’
I think it makes this record unique. I don’t think most tribute records are done like this. I think that’s why it sounds like a cohesive album. It feels like an amazing mix tape.”
As the album gears up for its release, the first single dropped today, with Gillian Welch & David Rawlings covering Anderson’s hit, “I Just Came Home to Count the Memories.”
Check it out:
You can check out the full track-list below:
SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMETHING NEW: A TRIBUTE TO JOHN ANDERSON TRACK LIST:
1. “1959” performed by John Prine
2. “Years” performed by Sierra Ferrell
3. “Wild and Blue” performed by Brent Cobb
4. “Low Dog Blues” performed by Nathaniel Rateliff
5. “Mississippi Moon” performed by Eric Church
6. “I Just Came Home to Count the Memories” performed by Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
7. “Shoot Low Sheriff!” performed by Tyler Childers
8. “Seminole Wind” performed by Luke Combs
9. “When It Comes to You” performed by Sturgill Simpson
10. “You Can’t Judge A Book (By The Cover)” performed by Brothers Osborne
11. “Would You Catch A Falling Star” performed by Del McCoury feat. Sierra Hull
12. “Straight Tequila Night” performed by Ashley McBryde
13. “I’m Just An Old Chunk of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be a Diamond Some Day)” performed by Jamey Johnson