It’s about an affair that happens in the darkness of the night, with the narrator reminiscing on the night before and describing it with beautiful imagery:
“There’s a half cigarette swimming in red wine The records still spinning the scene of the crime It’s looking like a tornado ’bout to come crashing through the door Can’t say what happened, but one thing’s for sure
The moon saw it all through a thin piece of glass And the stars must have blushed when you kissed me like that We can’t hide the evidence, it’s scattered everywhere in all its naked glory The night knows the truth, the sunrise tells the story”
It’s accompanied by a music video where the “New Hot Shit House Band” band is performing straight from the dimly-lit, seedy looking dive called The Last Resort Supper Club. The song itself is right in Midland’s wheelhouse, with their typical glossy, twangy, western sound that I love so much.
The resort has a website now too, where you can book a reservation (buy a concert ticket), and even features a pretty extensive menu with a few cocktail recipes that look fantastic… I might have to try one out and report back to y’all.
Band member Jess Carson wrote the song alongside Aaron Raitiere and Jessi Alexander (who also co-wrote a few of Riley Green’s new songs that came out today).
And, there’s even more to be excited about, because they’re set to release four more songs as the rest of The Last Resort EP on July 16th, which makes it their first collection of completely brand new songs in two years.
The Last Resort Tracklist:
1. “And Then Some” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
2. “Sunrise Tells The Story” (Jess Carson, Jessi Alexander, Aaron Raitiere)
3. “Two To Two Step” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
4. “Take Her Off Your Hands” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
5. “Adios Cowboy” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Marv Green, JT Harding)