In honor of what would’ve been Billy Joe Shaver’s 83rd birthday today, it was just announced that a new tribute album called Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver is on the way.
The new album was co-produced by Charlie Sexton and Freddy Fletcher, and features an incredible cast of artists including Willie Nelson and Lucinda Williams, George Strait, Miranda Lambert, Nathaniel Rateliff, Ryan Bingham and Nikki Lane, Steve Earle, Edie Brickell, Rodney Crowell, Margo Price, Allison Russell, and Amanda Shires.
While Billy passed away in 2020 and is no longer here to get to hear all these new renditions himself, he once said that the lyrics of good music will last forever, and that has clearly aged well when it comes to his great and timeless music:
“When you write songs, and you write good songs, people will always remember you. Words will always outlive us.
And if your name is attached to those words, you’re gonna live forever.”
Amen to that, Billy.
His friend and fellow Texan who’s featured on the tracklist, the legend himself Willie Nelson, remembers Billy Joe fondly, saying:
“He was just real; there wasn’t one phony drop of blood in him.”
Set to drop on November 11th, I couldn’t be more excited to hear every single song on this tracklist.
I’ve been loving the John Anderson tribute album that just dropped, and this one is shaping up to be just as good with another stacked lineup of some of the best artists in the business right now.
The lead single, “Live Forever,” is out now, featuring Willie along with Lucinda Williams:
Live Forever: A Tribute To Billy Joe Shaver Track Listing:
1. “Live Forever” – Willie Nelson (w/ Lucinda Williams)
2. “Ride Me Down Easy” – Ryan Bingham (w/ Nikki Lane)
3. “Old Five And Dimers Like Me” – Rodney Crowell
4. “I’m Just An Old Chunk Of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be A Diamond Someday)” – Miranda Lambert
5. “I Couldn’t Be Me Without You” – Edie Brickell
6. “You Asked Me To”- Nathaniel Rateliff
7. “Willy The Wandering Gypsy And Me” – George Strait
8. “Honky Tonk Heroes” – Amanda Shires
9. “Ain’t No God In Mexico” – Steve Earle
10. “Ragged Old Truck” – Margo Price
11. “Georgia On A Fast Train” – Willie Nelson
12. “Tramp On Your Street” – Allison Russell