To say that it’s been a rollercoaster for Carly would be the understatement of the year. She lost her producer and friend Busbee to devastating battle with brain cancer in the fall of 2019. Shortly after that, she got married to fellow country singer Michael Ray, but filed for divorce after just 8 months.
However through the highs and the lows, Carly has been able to do what all great country songwriters do with heartache, dig down deep to let it inspire and create art.
Her follow up single, “I Hope You’re Happy Now,” earned her a CMA Song of the Year nomination and won CMA Musical Event of the Year, and now, she’s carrying that creative momentum into her next project.
“The best songs come from the moment, from real creative spark – and Josh and Shane bring it out of me. I was unsure where my music would be without Busbee. They both know where my musical heart is, and they understand how to capture exact details for much larger truths. The more specific they write, the more people I think can see themselves in the songs. I feel lighter reflecting on the last year and pouring my soul into this music and wanted to share it in hopes that others to will take from the songs what they need. With streaming and social media, we were able record music for the sole purpose of letting my fans know where my heart is without any expectations.
That’s a kind of immediacy that makes making records really exciting. I can’t wait to share 29.”
29 is set to hit shelves on February 19th.
1. “Next Girl” | Carly Pearce, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne
2. “Should’ve Known Better” | Carly Pearce, Jordan Reynolds, Emily Shackelton
3. “29” | Carly Pearce, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne
4. “Liability” | Carly Pearce, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne
5. “Messy” | Carly Pearce, Sarah Buxton, Jimmy Robbins*
6. “Show Me Around” | Carly Pearce, Emily Shackelton, Ben West
7. “Day One” | Carly Pearce, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne, Matthew Ramsey