Canaan Smith is back after almost six years since releasing his first album, Bronco, back in 2015.
I’ll be honest, I never really listened to his first album much other than hearing the radio hit “Love You Like That” constantly back in 2014. And while Bronco had a few good moments on it, we haven’t really heard much from him since then… and when we did, it wasn’t much to write home about.
He recently announced the forthcoming album High Country Sound, while also debuting a new song from the project called “Sweet Virginia.” And I have to say, it sounds pretty good.
Especially when you consider the fact that it’s being produced under Florida Georgia Line’s record label, Round Here Records. FGL’s Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard produced the album alongside Smith, and they both have several writing credits to their name listed on the album. Smith however, has a writing credit on every single song.
Last year, he released a song titled “Colder Than You”from the new album, and it’s probably the most “country” song he’s ever put out. So even in light of the fact that the project has FGL’s name all over it, I’m still cautiously optimistic it might have the potential to be a solid piece of work. Here’s what Smith told Entertainment Focus about the process:
“This whole album felt like a chance to make something that I truly wanted, which was extremely liberating – but also nerve-racking because I became the one responsible for the project.
I really focused on having fun with it, and I didn’t feel pressure from anyone to do anything in particular – it all came from a place of my own personal love for these songs. Taking control and kind of steering the project in the way I wanted just made the outcome that much more special, and I couldn’t be prouder of it.”
He even has a track featuring Brent Cobb called “Catch Me If You Can,” on the album… so you know that one won’t suck. But overall, it appears as though he might be taking a more personal turn with his songwriting, and coupling it with more of a traditional country sound. Like I said, I’m cautiously looking forward to hearing it, especially if it’s anything like what he’s put out thus far.
High Country Sound is set to be released on April 2nd.
“Colder Than You”
Canaan Smith’s High Country Sound Tracklist:
1. “Grounded” (Canaan Smith, Jim Beavers, Ben Stennis) *
2. “Mason Jars & Fireflies” (Canaan Smith, Brian Kelley, Corey Crowder) *
3. “Colder Than You” (Canaan Smith, Jared Mullins, Corey Crowder) ^
4. “High Country” (Canaan Smith, Blake Redferrin, Corey Crowder) ^
5. “Catch Me If You Can” ft. Brent Cobb (Canaan Smith, Brian Kelley, Tyler Hubbard, Jason Afable) *
6. “Cabin In The Woods” (Canaan Smith, Josh Miller, Brian Kelley, David Garcia) ^
7. “American Dream” (Canaan Smith, Blair Daly) *
8. “Sweet Virginia” (Canaan Smith, Brian Kelley, Tyler Hubbard, Corey Crowder) ^
9. “Still” (Canaan Smith, Ben Stennis, Jim Beavers) *
10. “Like I Ain’t Missin’ You” (Canaan Smith, Blake Redferrin, Jason Afable) *
11. “Highway Blues” (Canaan Smith, Jake Rose, Brian Kelley) *
12. “Losin’ Sleep Over A Girl” (Canaan Smith, Marv Green, Kyle Fishman) *
* Produced by Canaan Smith
^ Produced by Canaan Smith, Brian Kelley + Tyler Hubbard