A bunch of guys were asked the following question by a horse-loving girl (AskReddit):
“Fellas, what’s the reason girls who like horses is seen as a red flag?”
They shot it straight and gave their opinions in the viral thread which racked up over 500 responses and caught internet waves.
Here’s what was said:
1. Don’t do it boys this horse girl is looking for pointers to hide her crazy.
2. You’ll never be priority #1 in the relationship. It goes: 1: THE HORSE(S) 2: DADDY’S MONEY 3: YOUR MONEY 4: YOU
3. Girls who have horses have zero time for much life outside of taking care of the horse. Horses require tons of care. Liking horses is like anything else. Indulge in it and it becomes time-consuming.
4. I dated a horse girl. I can tell you about her specifically. She came from money but didn’t really have any herself. That was due to the fact that she didn’t have a steady job while we dated. She portrayed herself as a socialite but in reality she didn’t have an apartment and slept on her friends couch. I didn’t learn that until after we broke up and her friend told me. I had always been puzzled as to why she never invited me over.
5. They never want to ride anything but their horse. Nah, just kidding. I never knew this was a thing, I know a few girls who have horses. But now I kind of almost don’t want to date a horse-lover.
6. Country girls with horses are great but city girls with horses tend to be pretentious. I’m generalizing of course.
7. Horse riding guy myself, so I may give a bit of an extra insight. As mentioned, yes, “daddy’s money” can be seen as a red flag, but there are as many, if not more genuine hard working horse-women out there.
Smell is a big one. Yes, I don’t notice the smell of horse shit either, but most people do, so you’ve got to respect that.
Crazy is another factor. If you’re aware of the hot/crazy scale, you’ll understand this one. Horsey people are crazy, that’s a fact, what sane person would get on a ton heavy animal that could easily kill you. Obviously, you need to be hot to counter the crazy and make you dateable…
8. Like with many things, it only becomes an issue when it’s not “a thing you do”, but when it’s the thing that you do.
9. I married a horse girl! Although she didn’t get horses until after I proposed. Hmmm.
There are a variety of them, of course. My particular horse girl doesn’t typically like “horse people.” She says that they are crazy. That said, there are universal advantages and disadvantages:
She’ll often smell like a barn.
MONEY. Jesus Christ, the money.
Perils of becoming a “horse husband.” I.E. spending some of your precious free time helping around at the barn, driving her around, driving horses around, etc. I ended up having to wrestle goats at one point.
She won’t be clingy. She’s got her own shit going on.
Horseback riding can induce confidence in a person. Unfortunately, many horse people have overdosed on confidence, but still.
10. From my experience, women that like horses or that have horses can be immature, pretentious, obsessive and maybe this last one doesn’t go for all but two of them did have daddy issues. Typically they’ll love horses more than they’ll love people.
11. There’s a horse girl and her mom who come into my work. The girl is stunning. Her and her mom both regularly smell like horse shit :(
12. I married a horse girl. We now have seven of them out back. She does all the work and never complains. I do fence and stall repairs and such and feed the morning shift given she’s caring for a 94 year old Dad. If I had to do it all over again, I’d have limited her to two.
13. dated a horse girl and the problem that I found was that the cost of the sport typically meant certain classes of people get into riding. To own a horse is very costly and even to lease is still a lot of money and the gear (helmet, boots, saddle, etc.) is also very expensive. This lead to upper class people who are very rich and snobby being horse girls or lower class people who don’t know how to spend their money correctly and don’t come from great families. This combined with the over affection/over commitment for the horse is a recipe for disaster.
14. Where I come from I’ve heard it many times. The horse always come first. They’re completely in love with something that will never love them back. They’ll spend any amount of money and time on them. I think the deal is you’re never coming first in that relationship. Despite all this love they saddle, whip and ride them, but want them to love then? Seems silly.
15. Horses take lots of resources and are seldom used for genuine productivity. It’s sort of like a jeep that costs 10 grand a year to maintain and can’t be stored in the suburbs. I wish everyone could own a horse if they wanted, but economic realities mean that the horse has to be a really flipping high priority in a person’s life to be there at all, often beyond what is reasonable. So as a rule, if you’re looking for people whose priorities in life are way out of order, which is often symptomatic of other issues, horse girls are a great place to start.
16. They’re just weird, like literally every single time I’ve met one they’ve been off, and it’s always in the same way.
17. I’ve just had bad experiences with horse girls. Not fair to judge everyone, but I have to this day not met someone that treats me as good as they treat their horse.
18. I love this question because it is so superficial but has some truths in it that are really hard to explain. Many here talk about horse girls being pretentious or privileged and it might be one of the reasons. The observation I made is that horse girls have a weird attitude towards men (at least I can only talk about my male point of view) and tend to be controlling. My theory is that there are similarities in their relationship with horses and men. They basically don’t take men seriously and know what is best for them. All of this is of course just unproven almost superficial bullshit but there is something about horse girls that’s just different.
19. I’m a female and even I think they’re a bit weird.
20. The problem is that horses are an enormous commitment.
21. 99% of them are too busy being spoiled princesses spending daddy’s money (soon your money) to be worth dating for anything other than temporary social status boost. No thanks.
22. It’s not a problem if you’re rich.
23. Because every girl with a horse on those farmer dating sites is only looking for a place to keep her horse.