We all have that ignorant friend (I use the term “friend” loosely) that says “I hate country. It’s all just songs about cold beer and pickup trucks.” Well, first of all they’re wrong, but now, we have all of the interwebs getting involved with 25 rock-solid counter arguments.
Here’s what the good people had to say via a recent AskReddit thread:
1. Pretty much anything by Cash.
2. Highwayman is the best answer.
3. Sturgill Simpson.
4. “Whiskey Lullaby” by Brad Paisley & Alison Krause is deep as fuck.
5. “Mama Tried.” There’s a whole lot of living in that song.
6. “Sunday Morning Coming Down.” – Any version of it
7. Pretty much anything by Garth Brooks in his prime.
8. Jason Isbell – “I Follow Rivers.”
9. There’s a lot of them… off the top of my head: “Mountain Music” – Alabama, “Don’t Take The Girl” – Tim McGraw
10. I always like to show people Turnpike Troubadours. Great band who writes their own music. Every song has a lot of meaning packed into it.
11. What’s wrong with music about cold beers and pickup trucks?
12. Miranda Lambert – House that built me.
13. Eric. F*cking. Church.
14. Highway 20 Ride -Zac Brown Band
15. George Strait “Ocean Front Property”
16. NOT David Allen Coe… Except maybe “You Never Even Called Me By My Name.”
17. Eating Pussy and Kicking Ass by Wheeler Walker Jr.
18. Sam Hunt and Thomas Rhett are both great country music artists that aren’t just “yee yee gettin in ma truck and drinkin some buds with ma cowboys”
19. Brad Paisley has some songs that, if you listen to the lyrics, are downright hilarious. I’m Still a Guy, Alcohol, and Celebrity for example.
20. Pretty much anything by: The Steeldrivers, Cody Jinks, Ward Davis, Little Big Town.
21. I’m gonna be THAT guy.. Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker, assuming your talking about modern country.
22. Aviici is a house DJ, but that one album had heavy country overtones. Seems like a good way to introduce country to pop or EDM fans.
23. Kacey Musgraves. Her stuff is observant, smart, and not at all in ideological line with the rest of the country music world.
24. Lots of the classics have been covered, but for contemporary country some good choices: “Tin Man” – Miranda Lambert, “My Church” – Maren Morris, “It Ain’t My Fault” – Brothers Osborne
25. Waylon Jennings “Ain’t living long like this.”
Whiskey Riff is the most entertaining country site…ever.