When I think of a few of my favorite things, hanging out with a group of my best friends is one of the first things that come to mind. When I go a little further, I wonder what makes that time the best and I really can’t put my finger on it.
Here’s the deal…I had someone ask me how my weekend was. I replied expressing how it was the best weekend ever with complete genuine joy in my response. They then proceeded to ask what we did and this is where I was stumped. The thing is, we didn’t really do anything. We drove to the middle of nowhere Indiana, had no service, drank more than our livers appreciate, played country music, and really that’s about it. Yet, like I said it was the best time ever. This proves that all you really need is damn good friends and you’re set for a good time. Turns out Keith Urban is right- “Ain’t it funny how the best days of my life was all that wasted time.”
Here are 15 things we did that prove the best moments come from wasted time…
1. Sat in the rocking chair on the porch looking out at a field of beans with the clear blue sky and birds flying by.
2. Drove the backroads with the sun beating down on my shoulder, listening to country music, watching butterflies fly over the field.
3. An intertube, cooler of beer, dirty pond, and good company quite possibly being one of the best combinations ever.
4. Parked our asses in that pond all day to drink until the sun went down.
6. Told stories and dirty jokes that’ll go down in history.
7. Aggressively slammed our beers together to toast and making sure it went everywhere.
8. Played Eric Church’s “Jack Daniels” then naturally felt obligated to pass around and finish our fifth of Jack D.
9. Grabbed a baseball bat for the air guitar and a pair of tongs for the microphone because obviously, we don’t half-ass a jam sesh.
10. Rode four wheelers through some mud off the beaten path.
11. Ran around catching as many fireflies as we could.
12. Let the pyromaniac in each of us come out to burn some sh*t.
13. Danced around with his hat on backward.
14. Walked through the fields just to look up at the moon and stars.
15. Stood around jamming to banger after banger until the crack of dawn.
See, we really didn’t do a whole lot of anything yet it was still the best time ever. That goes to show you never take the little moments for granted because realistically those simple times are the best days of your life.