You get a brand new puppy, they are the cutest thing in the entire world.
They never leave your side and give you more unconditional love than anyone deserves.
Suddenly, the time spent with your dog is now just a memory of the past. All at once, you have to live life without them. Today is the day that I have to figure out how to get on without my best friend. I’m not sure how to do it but boy am I thankful for everything he’s done for me. Bucky these are for you…
1. Thank you for being there with a wagging tail and cute little puppy dog eyes to meet me for the first time when I got off the bus in kindergarten.
2. Thank you for being there with that same wagging tail and those same puppy dog eyes every other time I came home from school.
3. Thank you for listening to me when no one else would.
4. Thank you for taking one for the team and going on those long runs with me. The second I wanted to quit you kept me going and the second you wanted to quit I kept you going. We made a pretty good team.
5. Thank you for cuddling with me at all times.
6. Thank you for having the softest ears and the most beautiful eyes in the world.
7. Thank you for getting your hair all over the place. It made for some memorable moments between you and mom.
8. Thank you for being such a reckless dog who was never afraid of the consequences and only lived in the moment. I aspire to be like you.
9. Thank you for noticing every time I was sad when no one else would.
10. Thank you for bearing with our family craziness through years of volleyball and traveling all over.
11. Thank you for being the best and my favorite shotgun rider. No one will ever compare.
12. Thank you for being my go-to on our traditional family Christmas Eve walk.
13. Thank you for at least making an effort to be a hunting dog. I know it’s not in the cards for everyone but I appreciate the effort.
14. Thank you for being a large piece of the puzzle that held the Burgess family together.
15. Thank you for embracing the Tennesee home with all it had to offer. I knew you’d love it as much as I did before we even got there.
16. Thank you for being the only “man” I needed all these years. You were the one to stand by me through the heartbreaks.
17. Thanks for hanging out with Caleb and I while we threw back soda and played Starwars Battlefront II every day after school.
18. Thank you for loving mom through all the times she was about done with you.
19. Thank you for almost being a dog who could play fetch. I know once again, you tried and that’s all that matters.
20. Thank you for loving ice as much as I do so that I wouldn’t have to annoy Olivia all on my own.
21. Thank you for being my best friend and showing me what true unconditional love is.
Bucky, you’ve been in my life for a long 13 years now. You’ve had quite the journey. You started out as an innocent lab whose greatest fault was chewing up our socks. Somewhere in between, you became the dog who ate anything and everything. One of your happiest moments was the second we got to Tennesee. You jumped out of the car with eager eyes and immediately went on an adventure to meet all the animals in the area and explore the beautiful land we now called home. You led your ‘lil bro’ Rocky on many adventures through the years. I’m not sure how we’ll all get on without you but I know we have to.
This is the day I’ve been dreading. I don’t know how to get through losing such a central part to the family, but I know I’ll meet you again some day. Thank you for helping me through my messes, standing by my side as I grew up, and loving me unconditionally. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do without my favorite soft-eared, hazel-eyed dog. Rest in peace Bucky. I’ll miss you so much.