Miranda Lambert puts it perfectly in her song, “The House That Built Me.” If you’ve lived in the same house your whole life, you can relate to feeling like the house is a part of you and that it in fact, “built you.” It’s where your parents took you home to when you were first born, where your childhood pet is buried in your backyard, and where you had to say a temporary goodbye to when you packed up your things and to headed off to college.
Here are 12 things you can most likely relate to if this is you.
1. Your friends would never forget where you lived. It’s almost like your house is a town landmark, everyone knows where it stands.
2. You and your siblings have shared or lived in almost every bedroom of the house.
3. And made your special mark on every single one.
4. Everybody has their designated ‘spot’ they sit at on the couch or kitchen table and it’s been that way since you can remember. Heaven forbid someone try to change things up.
5. There’s that one drawer (you know the one), that always sticks and takes a certain way to open up. It’s like a secret magic trick that only you and your family can perform.
6. The ink marks gradually moving up on the wall in the kitchen can literally prove how much you’ve grown from birth till now.
7. The house has gone through more renovations than you can even count. Each new addition or change has helped to give life to your family’s dreams and is a sweet reminder of what determination, sweat, and hard work can produce.
8. When deep cleaning, you would sometimes come across an old childhood toy that reminds you of the time your sister promised she wouldn’t tell on you if you helped her cut all of your Barbies hair (or any other shenanigans you got into).
9. You were always jealous of your friends who got to move.
10. But soon realized it was much cooler that all your best childhood memories were centered around the same place.
11. And if you do ever move, your house will always and forever hold a special place in your heart.
12. Your whole life is invested in that home and you wouldn’t have it any other way.
Whiskey Riff is the most entertaining country site…ever.