Matthew McConaughey delivered the commencement speech at the University of Houston’s graduation ceremony this weekend, like only Matt could…Dropping a bunch of life truths along the way. From E! News, some of McConaughey’s best lines:
1. Life is not easy. He tells the students, “Do not fall into the trap. The entitlement trap of feeling like you’re a victim. You are not. Get over it and get on with it.”
2. “Unbelievable” is the stupidest word in the dictionary.
3. Happiness is different than joy. The actor tells students, “Happiness is an emotional response to an outcome…it is result-reliant. I say if happiness is what you’re after, you’re gonna be let down frequently…Joy is not a choice. It’s not a response to some result. It’s a constant. Joy is the feeling we have for doing what we’re fashioned to do.”
4. Define success for yourself. “Continue to ask yourself that question and your answer may change over time and that’s fine, do yourself this favor, whatever your answer is don’t choose anything that will jeopardize your soul.”
5. Process of elimination is the first step to our identity. “Where you are not is just as important as where you are,” he tells the graduates.
6. Don’t leave crumbs—and the beauty of delayed gratification.
7. Dissect your successes (and the reciprocity of gratitude).