Move over Luke Bryan, corn may make whiskey but there will be less corn to use after y’all see this.
The recipe below adds all of my favorite things together – THIS (and rain) is a good thing! The whiskey gives you a hint of smoke, the sweet makes your mouth water and the spicy give you nice kick at the end. Prepare to be addicted… save yourself some time and double the recipe!
Enjoy, my friends!
WHISKEY-SRIRACHA CARAMEL CORN
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup water
1 TB whisky
1 TB sriracha
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup butter spread
2/3 cup brown sugar
16 cups fresh-popped unsalted and unflavored popcorn
1/3 cup peanuts
1. Preheat your oven to 225 °F.
2. Drain the soaked cashews, rinse, then blend with the 1/4 cup water until smooth. Set aside.
3. Whisk the whisky, sriracha, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.
4. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add in the brown sugar and whisk continuously for about 3 minutes, taking care not to let it burn—and watch out for any sugar sputters!
5. Remove from the heat. Add the whisky, sriracha, salt and baking soda mixture to it. It will bubble and steam vigorously.
6. Once settled, add cream and stir until combined.
7. Place the popcorn into a large prep bowl. Drizzle about half of the caramel over the top, then gently stir with a wooden spoon to coat. Throw the peanuts over the top, then drizzle the remaining caramel over top and gently stir again.
8. Transfer to a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 1 hour, gently stirring it around after 30 minutes and scraping the bottom to prevent burning.
9. Remove from the oven and let it rest on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then gently separate it by gently scraping the bottom of the sheet with a metal spatula. Allow it to cool and set a bit more on the baking sheet for about 15 minutes, then transfer it to an airtight container or serve immediately.